Walletbeat sync 2026-03-19

Attendees

  • polymutex
  • REN2140
  • Lucille
  • John

Work we said we’d do last meeting (2026-02-26)

  • polymutex

  • 0xMattmatt

    • Deploy test contract, still blocked by social media assets
    • Finish wallet testing webpage: Scam alerting, transaction simulation tab (also blocked by social media assets)
    • Contribution guide
    • New attribute: Private key handling
      • Feature: Security best practices
      • Attribute: Security best practices
    • Intake questionnaire
  • ren2140

    • Set up development environment
    • Submit pull requests for TBA and Gridplus questionnaire responses
      • TBA - doc lost then recovered (thanks Fileverse support)
      • GridPlus
    • Continue to reach out to more teams for questionnaire responses and group chat invites
      • Rainbow team responded planning to send questionnaire
  • lucilajuliana

    • February ecosystem update (shout out to Matt)
    • Participated in every rebranding meeting every week.
    • Content calendar executed during the first two weeks of march
    • Report KPIs in first week of March
    • Created calendar for main crypto events of the year. Evaluated them with the marketing team.
    • Got and evaluated the Privacy Summit deck with the marketing team
    • Recording videos with Poly about the walletbeat criteria
  • davide

    • Publish research
    • Parts: priority fee for normal transfers (used: Rabby, MetaMask, Phantom). Baseline: block priority fee.
    • More on orderflow for swaps.
  • johngrantuk

    • LLM-friendly Markdown endpoint
    • JSON exports of rated wallet data

Work that was done despite not being planned

  • 0xMattmatt
    • Implemented the Permissions Management attribute.
      • Post about the permissions management
    • Claude Code skill to enter wallet feature data through human language
    • Autogenerated Markdown page describe all feature types for ease of insertion in agent context windows
    • Minor fixes
      • running tests that use Harper grammar check on Windows.
      • Safe wallet being ranked high
      • Attributes not showing (account recovery and unruggability)
      • Maintenance column showing for software wallets (new and old)
    • Refactor: Safe account type
  • polymutex
  • External contributions
    • “Lying” L1 RPC provider to verify a wallet’s light client support
    • Display name for each stage criteria

Initiatives & Updates

Locking in towards launch

[polymutex to discuss]

Three tracks left to launch:

  • Methodology track: 0xMattmatt, johngrantuk
  • UI track: darrylyeo, lucilajuliana, Teresa
  • Wallet testing track: ren2140, lucilajuliana

Can we finish them all before June?

Tracker of tasks to launch: https://cryptpad.fr/sheet/#/3/sheet/edit/16422db4b3147f4c29f8c818b7a5f8e0/

ETHCC attendance

  • [polymutex] Talk got waitlisted. Have other things going on at the same time making it difficult to go. Walletbeat will not have launched by then. Decided not to go.
    • → Send presentation materials to Hester for 1TS workshop

Branding / marketing

We have a logo! And attribute icons!

https://www.figma.com/design/fRFH2XbtyWwaBw1BRP96eh/Walletbeat?node-id=0-1&p=f&t=H8NN00lbIRIEJDhZ-0

Walletbeat communications policy

[polymutex to discuss] https://github.com/walletbeat/walletbeat/pull/575

Wallet Security Best Practices

Consider separate track from WalletBeat, adding these under OWASP umbrella https://owasp.org/

Looks like someone planned to start, but can’t tell if it’s current https://owasp.org/www-project-web3-wallet-security/

Next few weeks

  • polymutex
    • Finish data collection CLI
    • Ensure we hit the rest of the schedule
    • Decide on EthPrague conference attendance
  • 0xMattmatt
    • Finalize security best practices attribute
    • Finish testing suite
      • Contract deployment (unblocked)
      • Update suite to use deployed contracts
    • Demonstrate Claude Code wallet data entry process to lucilajuliana & Ren
    • Check VISA availability for EthPrague
  • johngrantuk
    • Privacy hygiene attribute - WIP, hopefully finish by end of weekend
    • Attribute: Release process transparency
  • ren2140
    • Update TBA based on responses
    • Continue outreach (Rainbow)
  • lucilajuliana
    • Content calendar for the next month. Deadline: 22/03/2026
    • Sync with Darryl on UI development work
    • Learn data entry process (from Matt). Deadline: 05/04
    • Participate in every rebranding meeting.
  • darrylyeo
    • Systematization of CSS rules (fonts/colors)
    • Website bundle size fix (no inline SVGs on homepage)
    • Flower-y rating system component (try to start but can slip)

Walletbeat Sync Meeting (AI-generated)

1. Attendees

Based on the cross-referencing of the transcript and the manual notes, the following individuals were present or represented in the discussions:

  • polymutex: Host/Coordinator (timeline, governance, conference logistics).
  • 0xMattmatt: Security Methodology, Attributes, and Testing (Referred to as “Matt” in transcript).
  • John (johngrantuk): JSON/Markdown exports.
  • Ren2140 (Ren): Data Collection, Questionnaires, and Wallet Outreach.
  • Lucilajuliana (Lucila): Marketing, Ecosystem Updates, and UI Design Coordination.
  • Darrylyeo (Daryl): UI Implementation and CSS Systematization.
  • Teresa: UI/Design Contributor (Mentioned regarding UI design scope).
  • Hester: Ethereum Foundation/1TS.
  • Absent: David (David/EF contact regarding research).

2. Main Call Segments

Segment 1: Housekeeping and Technical Logistics

  • Topic: Meeting platform login issues, screen sharing, and audio quality.
  • Purpose: To ensure all participants could access the meeting environment and coordinate technical issues to allow the work session to proceed.
  • Problem/Solution:
    • Problem: Participants encountered login “gates” on the video conferencing platform (referred to as “Jitsi troubles” / “Please login thing”). One participant mentioned being in two meetings and facing access blockers.
    • Solution: The host provided a different meeting link (meet.jit.si) and managed the waiting room/login flow. A specific link for the sync was established in the notes to ensure future stability.
    • Audio: Noted a mid-call microphone quality improvement for.
  • Debate/Unresolved: None; technical issues were resolved.
  • Actions/Follow-up:
    • All participants must use the specific meet.jit.si link for this series of meetings.
    • Host to manage “gate” issues for future meetings.

Segment 2: Security Methodology and Staging Framework

  • Topic: Closure of the 1TS Security Benchmark and validation of the Staging Framework.
  • Purpose: To confirm the mapping of the “1 trillion dollar security benchmark” discussion into Walletbeat attributes and to prepare for external validation at the EthCC.
  • Problem/Solution:
    • Problem: Uncertainty regarding how “transaction legibility” and “scam alerts” map to specific wallet stages (e.g., Stage 0 vs. Stage 1). The framework needed to be robust before the EthCC workshop.
    • Solution: polymutex created a mapping document. polymutex noted the benchmark discussion is closed. A document maps properties feeding into the stages for wider review at EthCC.
    • Technical Detail: The discussion clarified that “Transaction Legibility” involves decoding (Stage 0) and clear signing (Stage 1). “Scam Alerting” properties are also embedded in the stage hierarchy.
  • Debate/Unresolved: 0xMattmatt questioned if the stage definitions (properties) are precise enough for EthCC without further granular discussion.
  • Actions/Follow-up:
    • Use the mapping file (Markdown) to determine where attributes land in the Walletbeat version (e.g., “Stage 0” or “Stage 0.5”).
    • Use Walletbeat for all stage hierarchies going forward.

Segment 3: Communications Policy and Governance

  • Topic: Transparency and ethics policy regarding communication with wallet teams.
  • Purpose: To prevent rumors of “shady back channels” between Walletbeat contributors and the wallet development teams being rated.
  • Problem/Solution:
    • Problem: Potential perception bias or lack of trust from wallet teams if developers discuss criteria privately without transparency.
    • Solution: A “Communications Policy” document was drafted. It requires contributors to disclose communications (e.g., group chats) that exceed a certain size or discuss specific Walletbeat topics into a public transparency record.
    • Technical Detail: polymutex proposed a rule where if a group chat involves Walletbeat discussions above a certain threshold, it must be logged in a public document.
  • Debate/Unresolved: None; the community was asked to sign off on the policy.
  • Actions/Follow-up:
    • Review the Communications Policy PR.
    • Contributors must sign the policy (Nico and others have already signed).
    • Hester to review and sign off.

Segment 4: Development Status (Attributes, API, and Bugs)

  • Topic: Updates on backend development, new attributes, and bug fixes.
  • Purpose: To review technical deliverables completed since the last sync and identify remaining blockers.
  • Problem/Solution:
    • Permissions Management: 0xMattmatt implemented an attribute checking if wallets allow users to view and revoke token approvals (ERC-20, ERC-721, ERC-1155) and suspensions.
    • Claude Code Skill: A contribution skill allowing non-technical users to input wallet data via plain English was merged.
    • Data Export: John added endpoints for Markdown and JSON exports of rated wallets to facilitate integration with agents and LLMs.
    • Bug Fixes: Fixed Windows test issues (Harper grammar file paths), “Safe Ranking” bug (null attributes now negative score), missing attributes (edge case), and maintenance column appearing on software wallets.
    • External Contribution: An external contributor added a “Lying” L1 RPC provider for black-box testing of wallet light clients (validating if the wallet detects incorrect RPC data). A small bounty was paid.
  • Debate/Unresolved: 0xMattmatt briefly noted accidental scheduling conflict with John’s permissions management assignment but confirmed it was reworked.
  • Actions/Follow-up:
    • John: Finalize the “Privacy Hygiene” attribute (User Privacy) and “Release Process Transparency” attribute.
    • 0xMattmatt: Finalize the Security Best Practices attribute and testing suite (Contract Deployment).
    • Share and demo the Claude Code skill with Lucila and Ren.

Segment 5: Data Collection and Outreach

  • Topic: Wallet questionnaire responses and data retrieval.
  • Purpose: To populate the Walletbeat database with verified data from wallet teams.
  • Problem/Solution:
    • Problem: Difficulty recovering the Base App questionnaire document from Fileverse.
    • Solution: Fileverse support was contacted and successfully recovered the file.
    • Updates: GridPlus questionnaire data was pushed to the site (Pie charts updated). TBA data is ready for upload. Outreach is continuing with Rainbow (who responded).
  • Debate/Unresolved: None.
  • Actions/Follow-up:
    • Ren: Upload the recovered TBA document.
    • Ren: Continue outreach to Rainbow to fill out the questionnaire.

Segment 6: Branding, Marketing, and Content

  • Topic: Rebranding progress, logo/icon finalization, and marketing calendar.
  • Purpose: To showcase the visual identity of Walletbeat ahead of the launch and manage public communication.
  • Problem/Solution:
    • Problem: Need to coordinate content and visual assets before the public launch to ensure a polished appearance.
    • Solution: The logo (incorporating a “heart” for “beat” and “flower” for rating) and icons for attributes are finalized.
    • Marketing: Lucila executed the content calendar for the first two weeks of March. KPIs for February are pending reporting. A calendar of main crypto events for the year is being evaluated with the marketing team.
    • Privacy Summit: Deck evaluated with marketing team.
  • Debate/Unresolved: Lucila expressed interest in obtaining EF (Ethereum Foundation) travel support for the launch event.
  • Actions/Follow-up:
    • Check EF policies on travel support (Hester to investigate).
    • Lucila: Complete content calendar for next month.
    • Integrate new logo and icons into the site once CSS system is ready.

Segment 7: UI Development and Launch Timeline

  • Topic: Project timeline, UI responsibilities, and CSS systematization.
  • Purpose: To define the critical path to the pre-launch date (May/June) and resolve skill mismatches in the UI team.
  • Problem/Solution:
    • Problem: Lucila works with Tailwind, but the project uses custom CSS with nested attribute rules. The “Flower Rating System” is a high-effort task.
    • Solution: Darrylyeo agreed to document the existing CSS (systematization of fonts/colors) to unblock the team. Lucila will learn the custom CSS system from Darrylyeo.
    • Timeline: A Gantt chart-style tracker was created (3 tracks: Methodology, UI, Wallet Testing). Target is finishing by mid-May and before Berlin Blockchain Week.
  • Debate/Unresolved: Whether the “Flower-y Rating System” component can be built within the next few weeks.
  • Actions/Follow-up:
    • Darrylyeo: Systematize CSS rules (fonts/colors), fix website bundle size (remove inline SVGs on homepage), and start on the Flower Rating System component.
    • Lucila: Sync with Darrylyeo on UI development; attend rebranding meetings.
    • polymutex: Coordinate around the CryptPad tracker for timeline adherence.

Segment 8: Conference Attendance (EthCC & ETH Prague)

  • Topic: Decisions on attending the Berlin Blockchain Week and ETH Prague.
  • Purpose: To allocate resources (time, budget) for project promotion at major industry events.
  • Problem/Solution:
    • Problem: polymutex was waitlisted for a talk at EthCC. polymutex cannot attend anyway due to scheduling conflicts and other responsibilities. The launch will likely not be ready by EthCC.
    • Solution: polymutex decided not to attend EthCC. Hester (from EF/Community) will present a 1TS workshop supporting Walletbeat at the 1TS workshop during EthCC (55 minutes).
    • ETH Prague: 0xMattmatt needs to check visa availability for himself.
  • Debate/Unresolved: Whether the team should split attendance or go all to the same conference.
  • Actions/Follow-up:
    • polymutex: Send existing Walletbeat presentation materials to Hester for the 1TS workshop (includes security details from Devconnect workshop).
    • 0xMattmatt: Check visa status for ETH Prague.
    • Decide on final attendance for ETH Prague.

Segment 9: External Standards (OWASP Alignment)

  • Topic: Alignment of Wallet Security Best Practices with OWASP.
  • Purpose: To ensure Walletbeat criteria are robust and leverage existing industry standards where possible.
  • Problem/Solution:
    • Problem: Unclear if Walletbeat’s security attributes (Key Derivation Functions, Secure RNG, Audited Libraries) overlap with OWASP standards.
    • Solution: 0xMattmatt and polymutex discussed delegating standardization decisions to bodies like OWASP. While some overlap exists, Walletbeat is wallet-specific (e.g., private key handling in wallets vs. general Web3 app security).
  • Debate/Unresolved: It was agreed that OWASP is universal, while Walletbeat is specific to key management. polymutex suggested delegating decisions on what counts as a “Standardized Key Derivation Function” to an external body.
  • Actions/Follow-up:
    • polymutex/Hester: Research OWASP web3 wallet security project status.
    • Consider a separate track for general security best practices defined externally, while Walletbeat maps specific wallet implementations to them.

3. High-Level Summary

The March 19, 2026 Walletbeat sync focused on accelerating the project toward its pre-launch milestone (targeted for May/June). The team finalized the visual branding (logo and attribute icons) and established a critical timeline across three tracks: Methodology, UI, and Wallet Testing. Significant technical progress was made in backend attributes (Permissions Management, Privacy Hygiene, JSON/Markdown endpoints) and external outreach (GridPlus, TBA recovered, Rainbow outreach).

Key governance decisions included the approval of a new Communications Policy to ensure transparency between contributors and wallet teams, and the decision to utilize CryptPad over Fileverse for sensitive spreadsheets due to stability issues. The team confirmed that while polymutex will not attend ETHCC, Hester will present supporting Walletbeat materials at the 1TS workshop.

Strategic challenges included the complexity of the UI CSS system (Tailwind vs. Custom) and the alignment of security standards with industry bodies like OWASP. Action items were assigned to Darrylyeo and Lucila to resolve the UI stack, Ren to continue data collection, and 0xMattmatt and John to finalize remaining attributes and testing suites before the end of the month.