Walletbeat contributors sync 2026-07-09

Attendees

  • polymutex
  • tere
  • REN
  • 0xmattmatt
  • John
  • Darryl

Initiatives & Updates

Berlin Blockchain Week trip report

Monthly update for June: https://x.com/walletbeat/status/2074862440324423697

Wallet data collection workshop video

Recording on Proton Drive: https://drive.proton.me/u/0/9s98XLDcJaqvtuUc3nSeug/file/j_gMgzbqnn3xC3TGwwZwAg (DM polymutex for access)
Re-enactment (with ren2140) of workshop given in Brew Berlin

Frontend updates

Runway

We have about 2, maybe 3 months of runway remaining. Attendance and reimbursement for Devcon is contingent on further funding. Funding to become full focus for the near future.

Next few weeks

  • polymutex

    • Set up Keycard wallet
    • Write up 1TS grant report, then set up 1TS meeting for further funding.
    • Further automation for data collection CLI.
    • Write more detailed roadmap for the rest of 2026
    • Unblock ren2140 data entry PRs: #785, #765, #884
    • See what it takes to accept donations
  • 0xMattmatt

    • Scam prevention
      • Address poisoning detection (issue #834)
      • Unlimited token approvals (#860)
    • Account recovery drills (#867)
    • Security audits for software wallets (#865)
    • Fix playground atomic batching handling of receipts array (#832)
    • QA on website
    • Video production for talks (Or handover to Lucila)
    • 1TS recap and meeting
  • Lucila

    • Reach out to the Odin project for funding. Draft of the email.
    • Find more funding sources: Sebastian from Gnosis. EEZ? Target these orgs https://l2beat.com/donate
    • Keep content coming; coordinate with 0xMattmatt for video content (or do yourself)
    • Submit proposal to coordinate a community hub with the beat gang. Fill out the template and ask for your feedback: https://forum.devcon.org/t/rfp-13-devcon-8-india-community-hubs/8657
    • We have 6 extra t-shirts. Can we make a raffle/contest in our social media channels? Give them as a prize in exchange for wallet data entry. Make it a competition/recognition
  • Teresa

    • Small version of previous icons
    • New icons needed (#869)
    • Build the meme factory
    • And also badge ideas
    • Donate page
    • QA for website
  • Darryl

    • Layout/theming pass on page content, tables, flowers/pies
      • Fix remaining flower rating system issues (top petal orientation)
      • Wallet cards/table rows on mobile
      • Filters
    • Update outdated icons/logos
    • Make site work on low RAM devices (#895)
    • Talk at Malaysia Blockchain Week?
    • Walletbeat @ Network School?
    • EOA for multisig
    • Review on pages: /wallet-eip, /stages page: https://beta.walletbeat.eth.limo/stages/
    • Dedicated tabs component (e.g. wallet playground)
  • ren2140

    • Continue wallet data entry of pre-launch wallets as possible
    • Use Fable quota to crush some remaining issues (e.g. #840, #841, #871)
    • Think about a Devcon workshop for wallet data entry
  • johngrantuk

    • Orderflow Transparency thread
    • Cleanup of fee transparency units feature types (#884)
    • Coinspect data import pipeline (#735 and related issues)
  • [add yourself]


Attendees

  • polymutex
  • 0xMattmatt (Michael)
  • REN (ren2140)
  • John (johngrantuk)
  • Darryl
  • Teresa/Tere
  • Lucila/Luci

Main Segments of the Call

1. Berlin Blockchain Week Recap & Content Distribution

  • Topic: Review of team activities during Berlin Blockchain Week (June 14–18), including privacy panels, Ethereum Day talks, Dappcon workshops, 1TS security breakfast, and meetings with Nico (EF) and Hester.
  • Purpose: Update non-attendees on outreach outcomes, document progress for transparency, and establish a workflow for distributing recorded content (interviews, panels, workshops) across social media and archives.
  • Problem & Proposed Solutions:
    • Problem: Large video files from interviews and workshops exceed Proton Drive storage limits, delaying public sharing.
    • Solution: Implement a sequential upload/download pipeline between Michael and Lucila to cycle storage, or use OnionShare for peer-to-peer encrypted transfers. Clips will be extracted from both official conference uploads and the team’s manual recordings to maintain social media cadence.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: None. The team aligned on prioritizing clips from the Ethereum Day talk and the Brew Berlin privacy workshop as foundational educational content.
  • Actions/Follow-ups:
    • Michael to continue uploading interview files to Proton Drive.
    • Lucila to extract social media clips, manage posting schedules, and coordinate video handoffs.
    • Polymutex to host the re-enacted wallet data collection workshop video on Proton Drive.

2. Technical Progress & Frontend/Data Pipeline Updates

  • Topic: Recent frontend PRs, data collection CLI automation, UI/UX refinements, and developer experience blockers.
  • Purpose: Review completed engineering work, identify technical debt, and unblock contributors dependent on shared infrastructure.
  • Problem & Proposed Solutions:
    • Problem: Astro framework bundle size ballooned to ~50MB due to repeated component serialization across wallet data pages.
    • Solution: Merged Astro boundary serialization fix (PR #825) to isolate interactive components and reduce duplication.
    • Problem: Current icon set doesn’t align with the updated UI/flower rating system.
    • Solution: Simplify existing icons, add missing variants, and temporarily use emoji mapping (PR #850) as placeholders until the new set is finalized.
    • Problem: Data collection CLI lacks automation, stalling Ren’s wallet data entry for Base and Rainbow.
    • Solution: Polymutex to refactor feature type schemas (account types, fee types) and automate CLI pipelines to unblock PRs #785, #765, #884.
    • Problem: Local dev server (localhost) experiences consistent timeouts when loading specific wallet detail pages.
    • Solution: John to file a tracking issue; likely caused by high CPU overhead during runtime compilation or Chrome extension injection restrictions on localhost. Darryl to investigate low-RAM performance regressions (#895) via profiling.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: Minor discussion on PR merge frequency; team agreed to adopt smaller, more frequent merges to avoid large conflict trees. No unresolved technical blockers beyond assigned tasks.
  • Actions/Follow-ups:
    • Darryl to complete theme/layout pass, fix mobile scrolling, update outdated wallet logos, and address RAM bottlenecks.
    • Michael to QA the website, fix playground atomic batching/receipts handling (#832), and ensure software wallets are included in security audit attributes (#865).
    • Polymutex to finalize CLI automation and unblock data entry PRs.

3. Runway, Funding Strategy & Treasury Management

  • Topic: Project runway (2–3 months remaining), 1TS grant compliance, future funding pipelines, and treasury yield strategies.
  • Purpose: Address the critical funding gap, align on grant reporting requirements, and evaluate alternative funding mechanisms before runway expires.
  • Problem & Proposed Solutions:
    • Problem: Runway is insufficient to cover Devcon India travel/reimbursements without additional funding.
    • Solution: Prioritize completion of the 1TS grant report, then schedule a direct follow-up meeting for Phase 2 funding. Simultaneously pursue EF ESP grants, Odin Project, Gnosis Foundation, and institutional donors listed on L2BEAT’s donation page.
    • Problem: Whether to deploy treasury into DeFi yield strategies to extend runway.
    • Solution: Rejected. Recent exploitation of a major vault (~$6M) highlights protocol risk. Yields (~2–3% via staking) don’t justify smart contract risk at current treasury scales. Decision: Keep funds distributed across secure wallets/chains. Consider staking only if runway extends past 6 months.
    • Problem: Lack of a public donation infrastructure.
    • Solution: Build a donation page, integrate NFT badge rewards for supporters, and establish security/legal layers (e.g., staging addresses, source verification) to mitigate compliance risks. Acknowledged as a community-building tool rather than a primary runway solution.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions:
    • How to structure the donation security layer (direct crypto vs. legal entity routing). Tere to research Web3 Privacy’s membership/donation architecture for best practices.
    • Expected yield from community donations is minimal but valuable for legitimacy and visibility.
  • Actions/Follow-ups:
    • Polymutex to finalize 1TS grant report, schedule funding follow-up, and implement a 50/50 stablecoin/ETH split for future grants to hedge market volatility.
    • Lucila to draft outreach emails to Odin, Gnosis (Sebastian), and L2BEAT donor list.
    • Teresa/Lucila to design donation page layout and NFT badge system.

4. Community Initiatives, Events & Merchandising

  • Topic: Devcon India community hub proposal, t-shirt distribution, Network School & Malaysia Blockchain Week opportunities, and AI-assisted data entry workshops.
  • Purpose: Capitalize on recent conference momentum, plan strategic event participation, and incentivize open-source contributions.
  • Problem & Proposed Solutions:
    • Problem: Six surplus t-shirts from Berlin; how to utilize them effectively.
    • Solution: Reserve for team members first, then use as targeted incentives for prolific wallet data contributors or conference attendees. Avoid public giveaways; instead, reward specific PRs/workshops.
    • Problem: Devcon India community hub participation requires formal proposal.
    • Solution: Lucila to complete the Devcon RFP template and circulate for team feedback before submission.
    • Problem: Low technical barrier for community contributors to help with wallet data.
    • Solution: Ren to develop an AI-assisted data entry workflow that can be demoed at Network School or Malaysia Blockchain Week, enabling non-technical contributors to validate data with minimal setup.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: Consensus on keeping merch distribution private/conference-based rather than public social media contests. Event participation depends on funding approval.
  • Actions/Follow-ups:
    • Lucila to submit Devcon community hub proposal.
    • Team to coordinate speaking/workshop slots at Network School & Malaysia Blockchain Week.
    • Ren to prototype AI-assisted data entry workflow for potential workshop delivery.

5. Individual Task Allocation & 2026 Roadmap Planning

  • Topic: Assignment of near-term deliverables, documentation updates, and long-term planning.
  • Purpose: Ensure clear ownership, align timelines with funding milestones, and formalize the project trajectory.
  • Problem & Proposed Solutions:
    • Problem: John’s order-flow transparency thread delayed due to holidays.
    • Solution: John to draft technical content; Lucila to format and publish as a social thread.
    • Problem: Lack of a formalized 2026 roadmap.
    • Solution: Polymutex to draft a comprehensive roadmap including funding-contingent plans for Devcon Mumbai/India, ERC-7730 v2 alignment, and hardware wallet coverage.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: None. Tasks were clearly distributed with flexible deadlines tied to runway status.
  • Actions/Follow-ups: (Consolidated from notes)
    • polymutex: Keycard setup, 1TS report & meeting, CLI automation, 2026 roadmap, unblock data PRs, donation infrastructure research.
    • 0xMattmatt: Scam prevention attributes (address poisoning, unlimited approvals), account recovery drills, extend security audits to software wallets, playground receipt batching fix, website QA, 1TS follow-up.
    • Lucila: Funding outreach (Odin, Gnosis, L2BEAT list), Devcon community hub proposal, social/media coordination, t-shirt incentive structuring.
    • Teresa: Icon simplification & new variants, meme library/badge design, donation page UI, website QA pass.
    • Darryl: Theme/layout consistency, mobile fixes, logo updates, RAM profiling, EOA multisig setup, review /wallet-eips & /stages pages, build dedicated tabs component.
    • REN: Pre-launch wallet data entry, leverage Fable quota for complex issues, design AI-assisted data workshop.
    • John: Order-flow transparency draft, fee transparency feature type cleanup (#884), Coinspect bulk import pipeline (#735), file localhost timeout issue.

High-Level Summary of the Call

The meeting centered on three core themes: technical delivery, funding sustainability, and community expansion. The team successfully recapitulated their Berlin Blockchain Week engagement, establishing a structured pipeline for video distribution and social media clipping. On the technical front, significant frontend optimizations were merged (Astro serialization fixes, UI polish, icon mapping), though data collection CLI automation remains a critical blocker for wallet data onboarding. The most urgent discussion revolved around the project’s 2–3 month runway. The team agreed to prioritize the 1TS grant report to unlock follow-up funding, while simultaneously diversifying outreach to the EF ESP program, Odin Project, Gnosis, and institutional donors. DeFi yield strategies were explicitly rejected due to recent vault exploits and low risk-adjusted returns. Instead, the team will focus on building a secure donation infrastructure with NFT badge incentives to foster community legitimacy. Looking ahead, action items were clearly assigned across frontend, data pipelines, grant compliance, and event participation (Devcon India, Network School, Malaysia Blockchain Week). The meeting concluded with a clear mandate: secure funding to preserve runway, unblock data contributors, and formalize the 2026 roadmap with funding-contingent milestones.