Walletbeat contributors sync 2026-08-20

Attendees

  • polymutex
  • ren2140
  • John
  • Luci (Lucila)
  • Tere (Teresa)
  • 0xMattmatt (Michael)
  • Darryl

What we said we’d do

  • polymutex
    • Set up Keycard wallet
    • Write up 1TS grant report, then set up 1TS meeting for further funding
    • Further automation for data collection CLI
    • Write more detailed roadmap for the rest of 2026
    • Unblock ren2140 data entry PRs: #785, #765, #884
    • See what it takes to accept donations
  • 0xMattmatt
    • Scam prevention (address poisoning detection #834, unlimited token approvals #860)
    • Account recovery drills (#867)
    • Security audits for software wallets (#865)
    • Fix playground atomic batching handling of receipts array (#832)
    • QA on website
    • Video production for talks (or handover to Lucila)
    • 1TS recap and meeting
  • Lucila
  • Teresa
    • Small version of previous icons
    • New icons needed (#869)
    • contribution page
    • stages page
    • Build the meme factory
    • And also badge ideas
    • Donate page
    • QA for website
  • Darryl
    • Layout/theming pass on page content, tables, flowers/pies
      • Fix remaining flower rating system issues (top petal orientation)
      • Wallet cards/table rows on mobile
      • Filters
    • Update outdated icons/logos
    • Make site work on low RAM devices (#895) — in progress
    • Talk at Malaysia Blockchain Week?
    • Walletbeat @ Network School?

Initiatives & Updates

Ethereum Foundation funding

Grant writing underway. Based on conversations with the EF, we will likely get some funding, but we will likely not meet our funding target. Practically, this means we may still obtain sufficient funding for some Devcon attendance, but will have to be selective as to who goes. Additionally, we will likely spend >25% of our runway on applying for more grants — i.e. the ratio of funds spent on overhead acquiring more funds is likely to increase. Polymutex noted the EF itself is feeling financial pain and is narrowing its focus; Walletbeat is precisely the kind of focus that remains, which is why funding is happening at all, but the amount is likely to be underwhelming.

Feedback from Ethereum Foundation

  • Track record of impact — show how wallets have evolved over time; track Walletbeat’s impact, but also in general how CROPS-y wallets are getting. Future funding is likely to depend on this. Fredrik had the strongest opinions here; he wants the focus to be on progress on CROPS values in general for wallets. Some of his asks imply more than Walletbeat currently has — e.g. seeing wallet progress across CROPS dimensions requires full data AND tracking over time, and “we’re not even at step zero of that.” But this still informs the success metric: will wallets actually move in the directions the EF wants (the CROPS values). Polymutex stressed keeping the impact log and social proof up to date, continuously updating wallets as they change, and potentially building UI to show how wallets evolve over time.
    • Luci: the “CROPS auditor / CROPS benchmark” one-liner narrative we’ve been building aligns well with what they’re looking for.
    • Conflict noted: the EF’s prior grants were milestone-based (e.g. “by this time we’ll have a website, x wallets by that date”), whereas this framing sounds more like success-metric-based funding. Still to be clarified. If it is success-metric-based, it matters less what we promise and more that we deliver.
  • Mobile UI feedback from Hester — initial UI too overwhelming; directionally the same as issues already known.

Timeline / next steps

  • Self-imposed internal deadline: 2026-09-30 (before funds run out, which is roughly around Devcon).
  • There is no fixed EF deadline — the continuously-running Ecosystem Support Program (ESP) is always open, and Walletbeat now falls under it (previously applied under the now-inactive “one trillion dollar security initiative”).
  • The EF will set up a meeting with us and our funds coordinator next week; the application should be sent by then. Luci knows one of the coordinators (Sofia) and will share contact info.

Octant application

  • Status: Luci is half-way done. Will be finished by Friday 21/08 so the team can review and it can be submitted this weekend. Deadline 2026-09-10, but earlier submission is better (more time to respond to clarification requests).
  • Focus: privacy projects only. It’s a matching/donation round — a 100 ETH matching pool with quadratic funding donations (not just a single grant). If selected, all social-media communication during that window should focus on the round/donations.
  • Luci is fairly confident of selection.

The DAO application

  • Ren had conversations (a DAO rep, “Jake”, DM’d and provided the application info) and followed up; Luci wants to take it on with Ren’s feedback.
  • Constraint (per polymutex): must have no overlap with the EF grant application. It is milestone-based funding — propose a roadmap, get paid after submitting milestone progress. Ren noted the DAO’s initiatives differ from the EF’s, so overlap may be avoidable; e.g. finishing hardware wallet ratings (by text data, etc.) is a plausible DAO initiative.
  • Focus: security projects only. Deadline ~November 2026.
  • Discussion on using the same application for both EF and DAO (Luci’s suggestion, since no EF response yet) — Ren noted the DAO format is quite different (an initiative you propose), so a shared application is imperfect; polymutex warned against promising the same deliverable twice to two entities (double-payment risk if both fund, under-delivery risk if you only get one and still must deliver).

Synthesis of grant applications (topic split)

  • The DAO → Security
  • Octant → Privacy
  • EF → General funding / the rest / CROPS values (EF cares about wallets progressing on CROPS; show history of wallets across CROPS dimensions). Polymutex floated putting hardware wallets under the DAO as “security-ish.”
  • Agreed as a sensible way to split the three applications.

CI is fixed

  • The “no pushes” issue is resolved. We now have reproducible builds (it took a while to figure out why Astro kept producing different builds — now fixed), and the pipeline is smarter about pushing so it does not deploy when there are no website-content changes — saving money on non-content-affecting pushes (a few pennies per push, but worthwhile).

Devcon attendance

Talks submitted (see funding note above): https://github.com/walletbeat/walletbeat/tree/beta/resources/talks/2026-11-devcon

  • polymutex — “Solving CROPS’ last-mile problems” (the most important one; Walletbeat launching). By then all launch criteria should be cleared. Reuses slides from the Berlin Blockchain Week / Firm Day talk (recently posted on YouTube). Covers the attribute philosophy, why Walletbeat matters, why CROPS must apply to the wallet layer, what current wallets look like, adoption obstacles, and the mission. Joint with Michael if approved. Acts as a deadline for many tasks.
  • polymutex — lightning talk on wallet software supply-chain security (avoiding npm package hacks; disclosing dependencies transparently and recursively, practically). Only 3 minutes, so limited history, but “there will be a lot of lore.”
  • Michael (0xMattmatt) — clear-signing-adjacent talk: transaction legibility beyond clear signing (scam alerts, framed transactions, proper transaction legibility). Rationale: most Devcon proposals will be about clear signing (we’re part of the Clear Signing WG), but there’s not enough light on transaction legibility beyond clear signing.
  • ren2140 — hands-on workshop: end-to-end using AI, showing how anyone with no deep technical know-how can jump in and contribute an attribute to Walletbeat. Purpose: get people excited to join and post PRs. Polymutex suggested recording it to share on social media to encourage data entries (useful even if the talk is rejected — a “video version” of the text-based contributing guides). Luci offered to make the recording.
  • Darryl — case study of the Astro static build pipeline, showing how dependency minimalism and the “walkaway test” build resiliency, transparency and durability into a web development/publishing workflow. To be submitted as a PR. Polymutex pointed Darryl to recent CI changes around reproducibility of the Astro pipeline (a bit complicated, might be good to include in the talk).
  • Luci — mistakenly submitted a duplicate of the dappcon workshop (thought we were re-submitting it). Polymutex asked her to withdraw it if possible; if not, it’s acceptable to rerun. Polymutex’s concern: as a conference organizer, seeing multiple talks by the same people looks like attention-seeking (“throwing a bunch of proposals to see what sticks”), so organizers may pick the most relevant one. Ren/Tere worried the workshop overlaps too closely with ren2140’s “how to contribute” workshop; polymutex doubts people would attend both, but agrees the dappcon workshop deserves a rerun at some conference (it was not well attended at dappcon, for reasons partly in and partly out of our control).
  • The dappcon workshop recording — located in the Drive; Michael to post the link if not already.

SheFi curriculum inclusion

  • Luci took edition #17. The wallet lesson was sponsored by Phantom, which requires social media login. Beginners in the class asked, “Magi, do we have to log in with our social media? Can we use something else?” and asked for other wallet recommendations (“Which wallet is the best?”). Lots of CEXs were recommended (Kraken, Coinbase). This strongly shows our proposal is needed to add CROPS there — people are already thinking about these values.
  • Note: Phantom recently switched from allowing seed phrases to only allowing social login and importing existing seed phrases (you can’t even generate a new seed phrase anymore) — should be reflected in Phantom’s Walletbeat data.
  • Next steps: Luci to put together friendly presentation materials, share internally for feedback, then share in the email thread with SheFi. Polymutex sees this as a constant stream of attention (secondary in priority to funding but important). Also flagged the impact-log opportunity if we get something changed in the curriculum.
  • Luci did not speak up in the workshop (open mic available — could do it next time); she didn’t want to impose, but sees it as a good place to respectfully introduce Walletbeat.

Kohaku CLI

  • It exists and is published by Kassandra; it’s a bit difficult/different to test. https://github.com/walletbeat/walletbeat/issues/1111
  • Polymutex tried it for network traffic analysis. Complicated for two reasons: (1) it’s a CLI, whereas previous wallets were mobile apps or browser extensions that run inside a larger shell (browser / Android emulator) where you can proxy system-wide or browser-wide; a standalone CLI can’t be proxied that way. (2) It uses Tor — great for privacy, but the encryption happens before traffic leaves the app, so you have to hook deep inside the wallet to capture pre-Tor traffic.
  • Polymutex built a small middleware and logic for verifying that it catches all traffic and can attribute traffic to the right part of the wallet stack. Not all Kohaku operations have been run yet, but it’s a possible solution. No requests here — just progress. The difficulty is a good sign: wallets are starting to care about privacy.

New SVG icon set

  • Received from Tere — four shown, but it’s a whole new icon set for every icon, designed to be visible at lower sizes (useful for pie charts, navigation sidebar, etc.). Pending inclusion on the site; polymutex will do it.
  • Tere noted there are actually five stages (not four) and will propose the fourth/fifth stage during the branding meeting. Polymutex: we need the “0.5” somewhere.
  • A font-generator issue was fixed: an extra transformation step now merges SVG outlines as part of the shape (previously outlines weren’t properly rendered through CSS attributes).

Large amounts of wallet security issues

  • The Wallet Security News page has been busy — data breaches, firmware issues, KYC/privacy problems, the Coldcard thing last month (which blew up), and Kansas hiring a North-Korean-linked developer. We need help keeping on top of it. Ren has been best at finding them and polymutex best at putting them into the site — we should share those responsibilities. Whenever someone sees something, make the PR or at least file an issue to keep track.

Social media threads (Michael’s)

  • Michael’s threads have been getting a lot of traction (~3 over the last few weeks, comparing how wallets handle recent user attacks — e.g. scam transactions, deceptive signature requests). We should do more.
  • Important: add to the social proof log if wallets respond, and to the impact log if wallets change — this feeds into what the EF is looking for (uptake, and whether wallets are acting on our findings).
  • Michael has been contacted by MetaMask and Ambire (willing to discuss changes to better protect users); also Blockaid and Rainbow (though no direct DMs on the MetaMask point). We’re waiting to see if they follow through.
  • Polymutex sees this as the best format for combining our own growth, getting wallets to move, and establishing communication channels with wallet vendors — “keep banging that drum.”

Walletbeat / Safe wallet setup guide collaboration

  • Safe Foundation said yes to a collaboration (an X post by a Safe Foundation member). 0xMattmatt sent a DM; a meeting is planned in ~2 weeks (possibly not next week due to a World BS meeting).
  • Plan: a guide on how to set up a Safe wallet (could also be turned into a thread). The fact that Safe would back it shows they trust what we say — we need to deliver to build that trust.
  • Ren: given all the recent security issues, multisig is one of the best security recommendations, so this is a strong component of the Safe collab. Safe’s setup can be a multisig with a software wallet plus a separate hardware wallet, and/or using the mobile app — multiple options to cover.
  • Luci: it’s a timely topic; shouldn’t wait two weeks — suggested moving it sooner (next week Tuesday). Ren will send meeting details; Luci can join/support.

Rainbow / WalletChan transaction-batching data not correct

  • Someone pointed out (in an engagement thread) that we don’t have correct data for Rainbow and WalletChan on transaction batching support. Ren and Michael verified this is correct.
  • There’s still a mismatch to resolve on that thread. Polymutex’s suspicion: the distinction is the atomic vs non-atomic version of transaction-batching support. If so, we should explain that.
  • General note: we should not drop engagement threads like this.

Migration of Farcaster group chat

  • Farcaster is likely going through a lower-DAU phase. For longevity, polymutex proposed moving the Farcaster group chat to Signal (where most chats are already happening — a more long-lived home, though less aligned with the ecosystem). No objections. polymutex will create the chats.

Next few weeks

  • polymutex
    • Review EF grant application (and clarify the milestone-based component / overlap with DAO)
    • Make wallet data collection finalizable (automate classification + derivation into the data structure that informs ratings — ~80% done; should not block collection)
    • Review Octant application
  • ren2140
    • Submit EF grant application
      • Need to clarify the milestone-based component; currently anchored to GitHub roadmap milestones; ensure what overlap between applications should exist
    • Wrap up top 5 wallet attributes — almost there; big remaining chunk is finishing data collection, especially privacy data collection (Michael should help). Remaining wallets: MetaMask, Rainbow, Rabby, Zerion; Ambire done.
  • John
    • Coinspect data import pipeline — finish #735 (ID mapping, almost done) & #736 (import repo data and automate import — needs research)
    • Cleanup of fee transparency units feature types (#884)
  • Luci
    • Submit Octant Privacy Round application
    • Complete assigned UI issues on GitHub (~8 simple ones)
    • Complete The DAO application (with Ren)
    • Deliver the September content calendar before the end of August
  • 0xMattmatt
    • Update unlimited approvals evaluation logic (ALWAYS vs CONDITIONAL — discovered wallets behave differently regarding unlimited-approval warnings)
    • Keep connecting with MetaMask & other wallet teams re: our feedback — track follow-through
    • Follow-up meeting with EF for funding (next week)
    • Join meetings with Clear Signing WG (contemplating — last meeting was mostly auditors discussing script-store audits; our feedback on attestations/registry wasn’t helpful there, but polymutex wants continued involvement so we can say we’ve been part of the WG; try at least two more)
    • Safe collab meeting
  • Tere
    • Keep helping with visuals/UI
    • Devcon stand and related visuals? (Devcon is definitely on; the stand is not decided — polymutex’s preference is no unless all talk applications are turned down; this is the wrong debate to have without Luci)
    • Memeland still relevant? (yes — we do want memes; posted one about Phantom moving away from self-custody; need more)
      • Meme ideas: 1. YOLO sign unlimited approval, 2. manually edit approval amounts, 3. use revoke.cash, 4. transaction batching
  • Darryl
    • Devcon talk proposal: dependency minimalism and the walkaway test applied to the frontend stack — submit PR with proposal contents
    • Fix all remaining layout/performance issues (PR #1117): heading breadcrumbs, scroll animations, table of contents/popover on mobile, cross-browser support, layering/performance/RAM minimization, all remaining UI feedback, review/resolve conflicts with Luci’s UI PRs
    • UI components theming/consistency pass: tables, filters, tabs, tooltips/mobile drawers, improved flower petal shapes/spacing, no-JavaScript fallbacks / progressive enhancements
    • More issues to file for later:
      • SEO / shareability: dynamic OpenGraph previews for page links, page titles, meta descriptions, RSS-ify wallet security news?
      • Data modeling improvements: revision history for wallet attribute ratings, wallets with multiple types / stage ladders (e.g. software + hardware), improve TypeScript type-level identifier indexing / validation
    • Note from polymutex: Darryl’s PRs tend to be large and monolithic, which conflicts with Luci’s many smaller UI PRs — requested more incremental PRs; polymutex will review within 24 hours and merge ASAP (even one-tiny-part PRs are fine).

Main Segments of the Call

1. Opening & “what we said we’d do” (skipped)

  • Topic: The meeting started ~20 minutes late; polymutex proposed skipping the usual “what we said we’d do” roll-call to save time.
  • Purpose: Recover lost time.
  • Problem & Solutions: None beyond time management; the agenda moved straight into funding.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: None.
  • Actions: Proceed to the funding topic.

2. Ethereum Foundation funding & the impact/track-record requirement

  • Topic: Status of the EF grant application and the EF’s feedback (track record of impact; mobile UI feedback from Hester).
  • Purpose: Align on the likely-but-reduced funding, and on what the EF wants to see (visibly-evident ecosystem impact over time) so the application can be shaped accordingly.
  • Problem & Solutions: The EF is happy with progress and willing to fund, but likely not the full roadmap amount — acting as a forcing function to diversify funding. This means selective Devcon attendance and a higher overhead ratio on fundraising (>25% of runway). The EF (Fredrik) wants to see wallets’ progress across CROPS dimensions over time, which Walletbeat can’t fully show yet (no historical tracking). Solutions discussed: keep the impact log and social proof updated, continuously update wallet data, and potentially build UI to show wallet evolution; keep the “CROPS auditor / CROPS benchmark” narrative.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: Whether the funding is milestone-based (as before) or success-metric-based (as the impact framing implies) — still to be clarified. Whether/how to build a UI component to show wallet evolution given there’s no data to populate it yet.
  • Actions: Send the EF application by next week (before the coordinator meeting); keep the impact log / social proof updated; track wallet evolution; Luci to share Sofia’s contact.

3. Octant & The DAO applications (and the topic split)

  • Topic: Status of the Octant and DAO funding applications, and how to split them so they don’t overlap.
  • Purpose: Keep the funding pipeline moving and avoid double-asking for the same deliverable.
  • Problem & Solutions: Octant — Luci half-way done, finishing Friday, submit this weekend; privacy-focused matching round (100 ETH pool), deadline 09-10. The DAO — Ren followed up with the DAO rep (Jake); milestone-based, security-focused, ~November deadline; Luci to take it with Ren’s feedback. Concern about overlap between DAO and EF. Solution agreed: split by topic — DAO → security, Octant → privacy, EF → general/CROPS. Polymutex’s overlap warning: don’t promise the same thing twice; if you only get one funding source you still must deliver, so ask an amount sufficient to cover the work.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: Whether to use the same application for EF and DAO (Luci’s suggestion) vs. writing distinct ones (Ren’s view that the DAO format is different). How much to ask given the overlap risk.
  • Actions: Luci to finish/submit Octant by the weekend and take the DAO application; Ren to submit the EF application and clarify the milestone component; polymutex to review both.

4. CI fix, reproducible builds & cost-saving

  • Topic: CI restored; reproducible builds; smarter push logic.
  • Purpose: Report infrastructure health and the cost saving.
  • Problem & Solutions: Astro was producing non-reproducible builds (now fixed); CI now skips pushes when there are no website-content changes, saving money on non-content pushes.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: None material.
  • Actions: None beyond acknowledging; Darryl may reference the reproducibility work in his Devcon talk.

5. Devcon talks & workshops

  • Topic: Walkthrough of the submitted Devcon talk/workshop proposals and their rationale.
  • Purpose: Ensure the team’s Devcon presence is coherent, non-duplicated, and strategically positioned.
  • Problem & Solutions: Multiple proposals covered: polymutex’s launch talk (“Solving CROPS’ last-mile problems”), polymutex’s supply-chain lightning talk, Michael’s transaction-legibility-beyond-clear-signing talk, ren2140’s AI-assisted contribution workshop, Darryl’s Astro/dependency-minimalism case study. Luci mistakenly duplicated the dappcon workshop (used her name with polymutex as co-host) — asked to withdraw; if not, acceptable to rerun. Concern that multiple talks by the same people look like attention-seeking to organizers, and that Luci’s workshop overlaps ren2140’s.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: Whether to withdraw Luci’s duplicate workshop; whether it overlaps too closely with ren2140’s workshop. polymutex doubts people would attend both but agrees a rerun is warranted.
  • Actions: Luci to try to withdraw her duplicate; Darryl to submit his proposal as a PR; Michael to post the dappcon workshop recording link; polymutex to record ren2140’s workshop (or Luci to record it) for social-media data-entry encouragement.

6. SheFi curriculum inclusion

  • Topic: Luci’s experience at SheFi edition #17 and the case for including Walletbeat’s CROPS content.
  • Purpose: Validate the value of the curriculum inclusion and identify the next concrete step.
  • Problem & Solutions: The Phantom-sponsored wallet lesson requires social login; beginners asked about alternatives and better wallet recommendations, and the instructor recommended CEXs (Kraken, Coinbase). This confirms the need for CROPS content there. Also noted Phantom no longer allows generating a new seed phrase (only social login / importing existing seeds).
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: None material.
  • Actions: Luci to build friendly presentation materials, share internally for feedback, then share in the SheFi email thread; consider impact-log entry if curriculum changes; reflect Phantom’s seed-phrase change in its data.

7. Kohaku CLI network audit

  • Topic: Polymutex’s progress instrumenting Kohaku’s CLI for network traffic analysis.
  • Purpose: Report progress and the technical difficulty.
  • Problem & Solutions: A standalone CLI can’t be proxied like a browser extension or mobile app, and Kohaku uses Tor (encryption before traffic leaves the app), requiring deep hooks to capture pre-Tor traffic. Polymutex built a middleware harness plus verification logic to catch and attribute traffic; not all Kohaku operations have been run yet.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: None (no requests — just progress). The difficulty is seen as a positive signal that wallets are starting to care about privacy.
  • Actions: Continue the Kohaku instrumentation work.

8. New SVG icon set & icon pipeline

  • Topic: Tere’s new low-size-friendly icon set, and the fixed font-generator outline issue.
  • Purpose: Showcase the icon work and note pending site inclusion.
  • Problem & Solutions: Icons designed to be legible at small sizes (pie charts, sidebar). Tere noted there are actually five stages and will propose the fourth/fifth in the branding meeting. Font generator outline-rendering issue fixed via an extra transformation step.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: The “0.5” stage placement (minor, to be handled at the branding meeting).
  • Actions: polymutex to include the icon set on the site.

9. Wallet security news & social-media traction

  • Topic: The volume of recent wallet security incidents and the traction of Michael’s comparison threads.
  • Purpose: Share the load on security news, and reinforce the social-media strategy.
  • Problem & Solutions: Many incidents to track (data breaches, firmware, KYC, Coldcard, a North-Korean-linked dev hire). Responsibilities should be shared (Ren finds, polymutex publishes). Michael’s threads are getting traction and have drawn interest from MetaMask, Ambire, Blockaid, Rainbow — feed responses into the social proof log and impact log (what the EF wants to see).
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: None material.
  • Actions: Everyone to flag/PR/issue security findings; more threads; log wallet responses/changes.

10. Safe wallet setup guide collaboration & Rainbow/WalletChan data

  • Topic: The Safe Foundation collab and the incorrect Rainbow/WalletChan transaction-batching data.
  • Purpose: Build the Safe relationship and fix a data accuracy issue surfaced in an engagement thread.
  • Problem & Solutions: Safe agreed to a collab (a Safe-wallet setup guide); meeting planned in ~2 weeks. Ren argued multisig is one of the best current security recommendations, strengthening the case; Luci pushed to move it sooner given the topic’s timeliness. Separately, someone flagged incorrect transaction-batching data for Rainbow and WalletChan — confirmed incorrect; likely the atomic vs non-atomic distinction.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: When to hold the Safe meeting (Luci wanted sooner; Matt to confirm next week Tuesday). Whether the data mismatch is the atomic/non-atomic distinction.
  • Actions: Matt to set the Safe meeting (earlier if possible), send details, Luci to join/support; resolve the Rainbow/WalletChan data discrepancy on the thread.

11. Farcaster → Signal migration & next-few-weeks task allocation

  • Topic: Moving the group chat to Signal; per-person commitments.
  • Purpose: Longevity for the community channel; clear ownership for the next interval.
  • Problem & Solutions: Farcaster’s declining DAU makes Signal a more durable home (though less ecosystem-aligned). No objections. Then a detailed roll-call of next-few-weeks tasks (see “Next few weeks” above), including polymutex’s request that Darryl work more incrementally to avoid conflicts with Luci’s UI PRs.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: None material (Farcaster migration unopposed). Darryl’s monolithic-PR concern resolved by committing to incremental PRs.
  • Actions: polymutex to create the Signal chats; per-person commitments as itemized.

High-Level Summary of the Call

The call opened ~20 minutes late and, to save time, skipped the usual roll-call of last meeting’s commitments, going straight to funding — the dominant topic. The Ethereum Foundation is happy with Walletbeat’s progress and willing to fund, but likely not the full roadmap amount, acting as a forcing function to diversify funding; this implies selective Devcon attendance and a higher overhead ratio on fundraising. The EF’s key feedback is a demand for a track record of impact — showing how wallets evolve across CROPS dimensions over time — which Walletbeat cannot fully demonstrate yet (no historical tracking) and which may imply success-metric-based rather than milestone-based funding (still to be clarified). Polymutex stressed keeping the impact log and social proof updated and continuously refreshing wallet data. An internal deadline of 2026-09-30 was set, with an EF coordinator meeting next week and the application to be sent by then (Luci knows one coordinator, Sofia, and will share contact).

Two other funding sources were reviewed: the Octant privacy round (Luci half-way done, submit this weekend; a 100 ETH quadratic matching pool, deadline 09-10) and The DAO (milestone-based, security-focused, ~November; Ren followed up with the DAO rep; Luci to take it with Ren’s feedback). The team agreed to split the three applications by topic — DAO → security, Octant → privacy, EF → general/CROPS — and polymutex warned against promising the same deliverable to multiple funders (double-payment or under-delivery risk).

Infrastructure was reported healthy: CI is fixed, builds are now reproducible, and the pipeline skips pushes when nothing content-related changed (small cost saving). Devcon planning dominated a large share of the call: a launch talk (“Solving CROPS’ last-mile problems”), a supply-chain lightning talk, a transaction-legibility-beyond-clear-signing talk, an AI-assisted contribution workshop (to be recorded), and Darryl’s Astro/dependency-minimalism case study. Luci mistakenly duplicated the dappcon workshop and will try to withdraw it; the team agreed a rerun is warranted, while noting it may overlap ren2140’s workshop and that multiple talks by the same people can look like attention-seeking to organizers.

Other updates: SheFi — Luci attended edition #17 and observed beginners pushing back on Phantom’s mandatory social login and being recommended CEXs, strongly validating the need for Walletbeat’s CROPS content (Luci to build presentation materials and share with SheFi; also noted Phantom no longer lets you generate a new seed phrase). Kohaku CLI — Polymutex built a custom middleware harness to instrument its Tor-encrypted, standalone-CLI traffic, a genuinely hard problem that’s a positive signal for the ecosystem. Icons — Tere’s new small-size-friendly set is ready (five stages, not four) pending site inclusion, plus a font-generator outline fix. Security news — a large volume of incidents, with responsibilities to be shared and wallet responses fed into the social proof/impact logs. Social media — Michael’s comparison threads are gaining traction and drawing interest from MetaMask, Ambire, Blockaid and Rainbow. Safe collaboration — a Safe-wallet setup guide agreed with the Safe Foundation (meeting ~2 weeks; Luci pushed for sooner, given the timeliness of multisig-as-best-practice). Data accuracy — incorrect Rainbow/WalletChan transaction-batching data to be fixed (likely the atomic vs non-atomic distinction). Farcaster — group chat moving to Signal for longevity, unopposed.

The call closed with clear per-person commitments for the next few weeks, focused on: submitting the EF/Octant/DAO applications, finishing top-5 wallet data collection (especially privacy data), completing the Coinspect import pipeline, wrapping UI issues and layout/performance work, the Devcon talk submissions, continued social-media and security-news coverage, and the Safe and SheFi collaborations. The overall tone was positive and forward-looking — funding is likely but reduced, CI is healthy, and the roadmap is well-defined, with the main open risks being the exact EF funding amount/structure, the unproven historical-impact requirement, and the need to keep diversifying funding sources beyond the EF.