Walletbeat contributors sync 2026-09-17

Attendees

  • polymutex
  • Ren2140
  • Lucila
  • John
  • Michael (0xMattmatt)
  • Matt
  • Darryl
  • Tere (absent; icons shipped, next batch pending)

What we said we’d do

  • polymutex
    • Review EF grant application (done — approved, see below)
    • Make wallet data collection finalizable
    • Review Octant application (done)
  • Ren2140
    • Submit EF grant application (done)
    • Wrap up top 5 wallet attributes (done)
  • John
    • Coinspect data import pipeline — steady progress (3 of 4 PRs merged)
    • Cleanup of fee transparency units feature types (#884) — deprioritized in favor of Coinspect
  • Matt
    • Small UX / docs / dead code fixes (done)
    • CustomContent details to markdown for LLMs (in progress)
    • Improvements to CI pipeline
      • Speed up checks by narrowing type for date range (40 vs 200 years) (done)
      • Fix svelte type check errors (almost finished)
  • Luci (Lucila)
    • Submit Octant Privacy Round Application (done)
    • Complete assigned UI issues on GitHub — steady progress
    • Complete The DAO Application — not started yet
    • Deliver the September Content Calendar before the end of August (done)
  • Michael
    • Update unlimited approvals evaluation logic (ALWAYS vs CONDITIONAL) — in progress, PR ready for review
    • Keep connecting w/ MetaMask & other wallet teams (done)
    • Follow up meeting w/ EF for funding (done)
    • Join meetings w/ Clear Signing WG — deferred until EIP tracker ready
    • Safe collab meeting (done)
  • Tere
    • Keep helping with visuals/UI (done)
    • Memeland still relevant? (done)
  • Darryl
    • Fix all remaining layout/performance issues (PR #1117)
    • UI components theming/consistency pass

Initiatives & Updates

Ethereum Foundation funding — APPROVED

50,000 USD grant approved, covering through end of year. Not yet disbursed. We had asked for 90,000 covering further into 2027; EF chose a shorter window. Two readings:

  • The stated rationale: EF does not want Walletbeat to depend on them completely, so the smaller amount is a forcing function to seek funding elsewhere (which we are doing).
  • A more optimistic framing: the 90,000 target was time-split to cover into 2027; the 50,000 matches the per-time-adjusted amount required to hit all milestones up to 31 January 2027. So it can be read as the full target on a time-adjusted basis.

Grant milestones:

  • Milestone 1 — 16 Oct 2026: Top-5 software wallet ratings finished, all pre-launch issues closed, clear signing relaunch, UI improvements (legibility, responsiveness, polish).
  • Milestone 2 — 30 Nov 2026: Formal launch on walletbeat.eth, donation page live, Devcon Mumbai talks/workshops/booth delivered.
  • Milestone 3 — 31 Jan 2027: Progress slider live on wallet pages, ≥2,000 followers on X, net-new additions to the impact log.

On the impact-log requirement: Fredrik (one of the two EF members in the meeting) is extremely insistent on visually evident impact — a log of the effects Walletbeat has had on the wallet ecosystem. Two ways to satisfy it:

  • A draggable progress slider on each wallet page showing how a wallet’s rating evolved.
  • A static impact log page listing known changes wallets made in response to Walletbeat (a “prologue” version of the slider). Polymutex considers the static page the better short-term fulfillment.

The broader message: Walletbeat must not just rate wallets, it must demonstrably cause changes in the ecosystem.

Milestone 1 — how to hit it

  • Pre-launch issues: all on rails except issue #504 (the stage-zero-wallet tab issue, assigned to Lucila but not yet started). This is the issue that moves wallets that are not even “stage zero” up to a different tab, the way L2Beat separates non-rollups from rollups on its home page. For Walletbeat, “stage zero” means the wallet is source-available — the bare minimum needed to review most features. Any wallet below stage zero is “boring” on the home page.
    • Polymutex’s original framing: do it pre-launch because post-launch it could be perceived by wallets as a methodology/ratings change (“rock pool on how we rate them”).
    • Solutions debated:
      • Hide non-stage-zero wallets from the front page entirely (no tabs) — simplest way to achieve the intent; a second tab can be added later.
      • Darryl: add a filter group that filters wallets by stage and default the filters to exclude stage-less wallets — easiest, no heavy UI change.
      • Polymutex counterpoint: a filter still lets both appear in the same table; the point is to signal “don’t even think about comparing these” by keeping them out of the table.
    • Outcome: any of these satisfies the milestone. Polymutex left the choice to Lucila; Darryl noted he had previously promised to standardize the tabs component across the UI and offered to coordinate so Lucila can leverage his work. Whoever takes it, it must be done before mid-October.
  • Top-5 software wallet ratings: all done except data collection. Polymutex noted the data-collection code/tagging is still being built (CLI), but the collection itself is unblocked — PRs for the big JSON files should be able to proceed. Michael and Ren confirmed. Polymutex is still working on the CLI to make tagging easy, but asked the team to get collection going.
  • Clear signing relaunch:
    • Michael to attend community meetings (next week).
    • Michael proposed EIP tracker improvements — the Clear Signing WG (via Gan, a supervisor) struggles to keep track of which wallets have implemented clear signing / ERC-7730 and to what extent. This is exactly the kind of tracking Walletbeat already does across wallets, so it’s a natural fit to propose. Michael has already opened an issue and a draft PR (shown in the WG Telegram chat); will present once finalized. Polymutex suggested mock-ups / a demo-worthy screenshot ahead of the community meeting; Michael agreed to vibe-code a screenshot.
  • UI improvements (Darryl): mobile responsive / dynamic breadcrumb layout, performance improvements, improved wallet sorting/filtering controls.

Octant application

Submitted (by Lucila). No response yet. Polymutex asked whether to start worrying; noted that other projects publicly announcing acceptance would be a signal to worry, but none have. Lucila to DM (via X/Twitter) to ask about status — no need to do it publicly.

The DAO Fund application

Just announced (thedao.fund). Different format from the previous round — the site already lists initiatives and has a timeframe through end of year; holders of “security badges” vote on projects already listed, and there is a “suggest” button to propose new initiatives. Lucila to research the format.

Next steps agreed:

  1. Understand the format.
  2. Come up with a set of security-oriented milestones with no EF-grant overlap.
  3. Write the application.

Polymutex suggested the clear signing EIP tracker as one candidate milestone (something the DAO would care about). Lucila is taking this on.

Devcon (Mumbai) plans

Approved talks:

  • polymutex: lightning talk on wallet software supply chain security.
  • polymutex: panel at Cypherpunk Congress on wallets & crypto values. Confirmed panelists: Kassandra (from Kohaku, EF) and apoorva (WalletChan wallet; strongly values-aligned). Two slots remaining — seeking one from MetaMask (interested but not fully committed) and one from Safe. Michael confirmed the Safe CEO (Rahul) is committed; MetaMask agreed to join polymutex’s panel (per Michael’s update).
  • Ren2140: how-to-contribute talk.

Not yet approved (not denied):

  • The Walletbeat launch talk — the one the team most wants. Polymutex: if it doesn’t get approved, repurpose the how-to-contribute talk to cover the launch. Plans to poke organizers in a week or two.
  • Michael: clear signing proposal — a talk on what users should expect when signing transactions outside of clear signing (transaction legibility beyond clear signing; a rerun/extension of the Berlin workshop).
  • Darryl: dependency-minimalism talk — Darryl hasn’t received an email confirmation yet, so approval status unknown; will keep watching.

Who goes? Treasury policy covers max 2 people per conference (travel reimbursement), to preserve funds. Polymutex is not seeking reimbursement so doesn’t count against the budget. Status:

  • polymutex: going (panels + lightning talk, no reimbursement).
  • Ren2140: approved talk, not sure if can go (depends on day-job project deadlines); would delegate the talk if unable. Expects to know within 1–2 weeks.
  • Michael: lowest-cost travel option (good use of treasury) but talk not yet approved; two approved talks would make his case a “slam dunk”. No visa trouble.
  • Lucila: no booth planning, but keen to do event coverage; if remote, will do social-media coverage remotely (send her photos/videos; Devcon coverage is a social-media priority).
  • Tere: might already go for Cypherpunk Congress — would need to confirm (would be free for the treasury).
  • John: others are more priority — no talks and far away; fine with that.
  • Darryl: currently traveling and may be near the conference by then (potentially low-cost flight). Would only make sense to reimburse if the talk is approved. Also considering a regional conference that overlaps the trip, and possibly a secondary event if accepted to its hackathon. Team discussed representing Walletbeat at that secondary event (noting it is very B2B/corporate, so a weaker fit).
  • Matt: same boat as John, but even further away. Probably not going.

Decision deferred: unblocked once Ren knows (1–2 weeks) and once talk approvals land. Polymutex flagged the cost of punting — tickets keep getting more expensive — but accepted the wait.

CI is fixed (again)

Had regressed due to Filecoin changes; now fixed in main and we’re being pushed again, which is what finally allowed UI pushes through.

New icons on the site

Now live on beta (walletbeat.eth.limo) — Tere’s icon set, replacing emojis; visible on the pie charts, sidebar, and next to attribute boxes. The pie charts need some recoloring (Michael’s note) because the icons are hard to see against the current colors. Will stack with Darryl’s layout/control improvements.

SheFi curriculum inclusion

Not started. Polymutex pressed to start — it’s the kind of thing that, once the train is moving, is mostly out of our hands, and earlier inclusion means more potential contributors.

Kohaku CLI network audit

Polymutex has been building a customized harness to test Kohaku’s CLI network behavior. The harness had to be customized because of Kohaku’s Tor integration, which requires a patched version of the Tor.js library allowing instrumentation from outside the process. Polymutex is trying to make it as generic as possible for other wallets doing the same type of Tor integration, though it’s not fully reusable.

Key finding: Kohaku does not perform Tor circuit isolation — the property that each request goes through a different exit point (different IP from the target’s perspective). This is critical for anti-correlation when a wallet holds multiple addresses, which is always the case when doing private transfers. Polymutex tweeted about it; it “blew up” in Zcash circles. Zcash wallets do have circuit isolation as a design goal (Zooko, a Zcash Foundation founder, shared a Google Doc of design guidance given to Zcash wallets, which included Tor circuit isolation).

Zcash as a funding/expansion opportunity: Lucila suggested the Zcash ecosystem could be a great source of income via a community grant. Zooko has already told polymutex they have lots of funding and would be happy to be part of Walletbeat. Polymutex had declined so far for bandwidth reasons (full-steam ahead on launch), but agrees Zcash is second to Ethereum in value alignment and much of the methodology would overlap — “the next best one”. Lucila to research Zcash grant sources and whether a timeline from January would work. First step: identify what grant sources exist within Zcash.

Next few weeks

  • polymutex
    • Finish Kohaku CLI data collection harness + audit
    • Unblock data collection for other wallets
    • Book flights / visa things
  • John
    • Finish Coinspect (last PR: using the data within our wallet dataset)
    • #884 after Coinspect
  • Ren2140
    • Continue refining data for top-5 wallets and down (fill in remaining TODO fields)
    • Help with EF-grant milestone work and the DAO fund application as needed
  • Michael
    • EIP Tracker improvement (#1224) & minor UI improvements (#1171)
    • Clear signing meeting
    • Collect wallet data
    • Wallet rating breakdown & attribute comparison (sample draft PR #1237; like L2BEAT does for L2s — also good content)
    • Trust Wallet, Bitget, Safe data input (low priority — these wallets reached out on X/DMs; Polymutex suggested telling them to open PRs themselves)
    • Several PRs open (low priority, almost finished, to be reviewed): duress-resistance conditions attribute, built-in swap approval rating in permissions management, references/inline code snippets, scam alerts / unlimited-approval warning levels
  • Lucila
    • Release the 4 Berlin interviews (edited, posted to YouTube, shared on socials)
    • Deliver the October Content Calendar before end of September
    • Research Zcash grants programs
    • DAO Fund grant application (get feedback from Ren)
    • UI issue tab non-stage-zero (#504): 1st priority (it’s a milestone item — speak up if it languishes so someone else can pick it up)
  • Darryl
    • UI-related PRs (performance/layout work, reviewing others’ UI PRs)
  • Matt
    • Open to being assigned things. Expertise: frontend, CI. Happy to learn.
    • Proposed by Michael: light-mode improvements issue (opened two days ago).
    • Polymutex also suggested the URL anti-hallucination test (Michael has a pending PR) — it’s CI-ish, needs to be more robust/automated; it has already caught two batches of bad URLs that made it into the codebase.

Main Segments of the Call

1. Welcome & Introductions

  • Topic: Opening; introduction of new contributor Matt.
  • Purpose: Casual check-in; formal onboarding of Matt.
  • Problem & Solutions: Matt introduced himself. He’d been contributing effectively and efficiently, and the team wanted to know who he was. Polymutex noted he’d been merging Matt’s PRs and flagged the merge-conflict tradeoff (merging early vs. waiting); Darryl (with two big feature branches coming up) offered to help resolve conflicts.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: Polymutex asked how aggressive to be about merging Matt’s PRs given the conflict risk. Darryl suggested waiting for the two big feature branches to land first, then resolving conflicts, since he understands the lint-issue frontier well.
  • Actions: Polymutex to paste the notes link and add attendees; welcome Matt; Darryl to help resolve conflicts once the big branches land.

2. Review of last week’s action items (“What we said we’d do”)

  • Topic: Status roll-call against the prior meeting’s commitments.
  • Purpose: Accountability and early identification of blockers.
  • Problem & Solutions: Mostly on track. Key completions: EF grant review + Octant review (polymutex), EF grant submission + top-5 attributes wrap-up (Ren), Coinspect first 3 of 4 PRs (John), CI date-range narrowing + svelte type-check fixes (Matt), Octant submission + September content calendar (Lucila), unlimited-approvals logic + MetaMask/EF/Safe meetings (Michael), icons (Tere). Delayed/deferred: #884 (John, prioritized Coinspect), SheFi (not started), DAO application (Lucila, not started).
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: None material.
  • Actions: Continue per assignments; #884 after Coinspect; start SheFi and DAO application.

3. EF grant approval & milestones

  • Topic: Announcement that the 50,000 USD EF grant was approved, and the three associated milestones.
  • Purpose: Confirm funding and align the team on the concrete deliverable deadlines it carries.
  • Problem & Solutions: EF gave less than requested (50k vs 90k) over a shorter window. Interpreted either as a deliberate forcing function to diversify funding, or as the full per-time-adjusted amount for the agreed milestones. The milestones themselves were reviewed, especially the impact-log / progress-slider requirement (Fredrik’s insistence on visibly-evident ecosystem impact) — a static impact-log page proposed as the more achievable short-term fulfillment, with the draggable slider as the fuller vision.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: Whether to count it as a “major win” or a “big win” (framing only). How exactly to fulfill the impact requirement (slider vs static log) — the static log favored short-term, slider as the milestone target.
  • Actions: Hit M1 by 16 Oct, M2 by 30 Nov, M3 by 31 Jan. Start building the impact log / progress slider.

4. Milestone 1 breakdown & the stage-zero tab issue (#504)

  • Topic: Detailed walk-through of Milestone 1 components; the one non-trivial pre-launch issue (#504) — moving non-stage-zero wallets to a separate tab, L2Beat-style.
  • Purpose: Ensure the team can actually deliver M1; assign the outstanding UI work.
  • Problem & Solutions: Pre-launch issues all on rails except #504. Solutions debated: hide non-stage-zero wallets from the home page entirely (simplest), add a stage filter with a default that excludes stage-less wallets (Darryl’s suggestion, easiest), or a full tabs component. Polymutex’s counterpoint on filters: they still let wallets share a table, defeating the “don’t even compare them” signal.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: Which implementation approach — left to Lucila’s discretion; Darryl offered his standardized tabs component to build on. The intent must be pre-launch to avoid it being read as a methodology change.
  • Actions: Lucila to implement (1st priority); Darryl to coordinate on tabs consistency; must be done before mid-October.

5. Octant & the DAO Fund (funding pipeline)

  • Topic: Status of the Octant application and planning for the new theDAO Fund application.
  • Purpose: Diversify funding sources beyond EF; keep the pipeline moving.
  • Problem & Solutions: Octant — no response yet; Lucila to DM for status. theDAO Fund — different format (pre-listed initiatives, badge-holder voting, “suggest” button); needs research. Proposed security-oriented, non-EF-overlapping milestones (e.g., the clear-signing EIP tracker).
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: When to start worrying about Octant (signal: other projects publicly announcing). Which DAO milestones to propose (clear-signing tracker floated).
  • Actions: Lucila to DM Octant status, research the DAO format, and draft the application with Ren’s feedback; milestones must be security-oriented and non-overlapping with EF.

6. Devcon (Mumbai) — talks, panelists, and travel

  • Topic: Which talks are approved/pending, panel composition, and who attends given the 2-person reimbursement policy.
  • Purpose: Lock the Devcon presence and allocate the travel budget.
  • Problem & Solutions: Launch talk not yet approved (the most-wanted one) — plan to repurpose the how-to-contribute talk and to poke organizers. Travel decisions blocked on Ren’s availability (1–2 weeks) and talk approvals. Candidates weighed by cost/geography (Michael low-cost, Darryl possibly near the conference, John/Matt far away). A secondary event was discussed as a possible overlap (noted B2B/corporate, weaker fit).
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: Who gets the two reimbursement slots — unresolved, deferred until Ren confirms and talk approvals land. Polymutex concerned about rising ticket costs from the delay.
  • Actions: Ren to confirm availability within 1–2 weeks; polymutex to push on the launch talk; Darryl to keep watching for his talk confirmation; Lucila to do remote social coverage and request media from attendees; Tere’s Cypherpunk attendance to be confirmed.

7. CI fix, new icons & SheFi

  • Topic: CI restored after the Filecoin regression; new icon set live; SheFi curriculum inclusion not started.
  • Purpose: Confirm infrastructure health, showcase the icon update, and re-prioritize SheFi.
  • Problem & Solutions: CI had regressed (Filecoin changes) — now fixed, enabling UI pushes. Icons live but pie charts need recoloring for legibility. SheFi not started — polymutex pressed to begin (earlier start → more contributors, mostly out of our hands once moving).
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: None material.
  • Actions: Recolor pie charts (Michael noted); start SheFi curriculum inclusion (Lucila).

8. Kohaku CLI network audit & the Zcash opportunity

  • Topic: Polymutex’s Kohaku audit harness and the finding that Kohaku lacks Tor circuit isolation; the resulting Zcash engagement.
  • Purpose: Report the security finding and evaluate Zcash as a funding/expansion avenue.
  • Problem & Solutions: Kohaku does not do Tor circuit isolation (critical for multi-address anti-correlation during private transfers). The harness required a custom Tor.js patch for out-of-process instrumentation; only partially reusable. Tweet blew up; Zcash wallets do implement circuit isolation (Zooko shared Zcash’s design guidance). Zcash proposed as a grant/expansion source.
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: Whether to pursue Zcash now vs. after launch (bandwidth). Polymutex favors “next best one” after Ethereum but only post-launch; Lucila suggested possibly crafting the application with a January timeline.
  • Actions: Lucila to research Zcash grant sources; Polymutex to finish the Kohaku harness + audit; consider a January-timeline Zcash application.

9. Next few weeks / task allocation

  • Topic: Individual commitments for the next interval.
  • Purpose: Clear ownership and prioritization.
  • Problem & Solutions: Distributed across data (Ren, polymutex), engineering (John, Michael, Darryl), content/funding (Lucila), and newcomer onboarding (Matt — light-mode improvements proposed by Michael; also the URL anti-hallucination CI test).
  • Debate/Unresolved Questions: Matt’s assignments proposed but flexible (“open to being assigned”); no hard conflict.
  • Actions: As itemized in “Next few weeks” above.

High-Level Summary of the Call

The call opened with a welcome to Matt and a check-in on the previous week’s commitments, which were largely on track. The centerpiece was the announcement that Walletbeat’s 50,000 USD EF grant was approved — less than the 90,000 requested, over a shorter window, which was framed either as a forcing function to diversify funding or as the full per-time-adjusted amount. The team reviewed the three grant milestones (16 Oct, 30 Nov, 31 Jan) in detail, with particular attention to Milestone 1 and the one outstanding pre-launch issue (#504, the stage-zero-wallet tab) and to the EF’s demand for visibly-evident ecosystem impact (a static impact-log page proposed as the achievable short-term fulfillment of the progress-slider requirement).

Alongside the funding news, the team covered: the Octant application (no response yet — Lucila to DM) and the new theDAO Fund application (a different, milestone-driven format needing security-oriented, non-overlapping milestones such as the clear-signing EIP tracker); Devcon Mumbai planning — with the launch talk not yet approved, panelist confirmations for the Cypherpunk Congress panel, and a travel plan deferred on Ren’s availability and talk approvals under the 2-person reimbursement policy; the CI fix after the Filecoin regression and the newly-live icon set (needing pie-chart recoloring); the not-yet-started SheFi curriculum inclusion; and polymutex’s Kohaku audit, which surfaced that Kohaku lacks Tor circuit isolation (a real security gap for multi-address/private-transfer users) and opened a promising Zcash funding/expansion thread.

The meeting closed with clear per-person commitments for the next few weeks, focused on hitting Milestone 1: completing data collection, finishing the Coinspect pipeline, the clear-signing EIP tracker, the #504 UI work, and continued content/funding outreach. Overall the mood was positive — new funding secured, CI healthy, icons shipped, and a concrete near-term roadmap tied to the EF milestones, with the main open risks being the unapproved Devcon launch talk, the #504 tab work, and the need to keep diversifying funding beyond EF.